Thursday, March 05, 2009

Sho U Chicken Recipe :)

One of the best things about Hawaii is it's mix of foods from all over the world. Whatever kind of food you like best, you can find it there. The other day my Sis (Vicky) emailed me a favorite "local kine" Shoyu Chicken Recipe. I made it today, but didn't get a picture taken before the sun went down :( BUT trust me it was just as good as any I've had in Hawaii.... IT'S SIMPLE, INEXPENSIVE TO MAKE, & IT'S GOOD!!! I hope you will give it a try!!! :)
Sho-U Chicken (Soy Sauce Chicken)

1 thumb size piece of ginger root, peeled
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. water
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 4-5 lb. pkg chicken thighs, skin removed (about 10-12 thighs, you can also use leg quarters)

Place first 5 ingredients in crock-pot, stir. Add chicken thighs. Cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 10-12 hours. Serve with rice.

In Hawaii we called this a plate lunch and was served not only with rice but also with mac salad. When I was teaching prek in Pearl City and on the days we had a field trip, I would always stop at this little 'whole in the wall'. It's called Kabuki and it's at 98-042 Kam Hwy
Aiea, HI 96701. I would walk up to that open window on the left and there would be various choices of local foods. They would put my choices in a little white box with chop sticks. How fun!!! Loved it!!! (I also loved their ono fish, vegie tempura, sushi, sausage... I guess I loved it all!) :)LOL


No comments: