Thursday, February 05, 2009

Trying To Be Something We're Not

As I was flipping through the channels a few minutes ago, I came across Joyce Meyers. She was talking about something that really touched me and made me think of myself in a different way. Joyce was talking about trying to be like others and not being who God made us to be. Some of her Bible references had to do with how God says he knew us before we were even formed in our mother's womb. And after creating, God said "It is good". He didn't say "well... this is good... this is not so good... this is NOT good... he said 'everything I made is good'. The eye-opening thing that she said that really touched home is "It is an insult to God for trying to be/wanting to be just like someone else." He created each of us for something special. He has a purpose for each of us. He didn't make us all to be exactly a like. I've always been amazed when I was teaching how many children who came through my classroom and each looked so different from each other and they each had such different personalities. What a wonder God is that in creating each of us, He never gets bored or never runs out of ideas in His creation. People ask me all the time "How do you come up with so many designs?" And I don't know how, except God gives me ideas... many times, I have no idea where the name of a design comes from, except I seem to hear or sense it and that's what it becomes. As a designer/creator, I wonder as I begin a cloth where will it go... sometimes I have no idea until it's done... but God being THE great designer/creator... He knows before He even starts what each of us will be or how He will want to use us. It's up to us to realize it's Jesus living in us that works through us, it's not we ourselves. With looking at life in that manner we can see that we do have a purpose and that purpose isn't to be a replica of someone else.

There is a caution though to what I've just said... yes, everything that God makes is good, but being good doesn't mean we are perfect or without sin. We all have sinned and fallen short of God's will for our lives, but the most wonderful thing that our loving Father gives is forgiveness through the sacrificial death of His son, Jesus. Once we ask Jesus into our hearts, God sees us through Jesus' blood and we are 'good' again. What kind of love is that?

No comments: